Striker Kyle Lafferty isn’t going to get an end to his Norwich City nightmare ahead of the European Championships in the summer, Leeds boss Steve Evans has told the Yorkshire Evening Post.
The larger than life manager, who has had speculation surrounding his position in recent weeks, has poured cold water on rumours that the Yorkshire club could provide an exit for the Northern Ireland striker before next week’s loan deadline.
Evans said an improvement in United’s form and the return of several players from injury had put the Championship club in a position where “we don’t need anyone in the building.”
“On Saturday we’ll have our strongest bench since I came here. That must tell you we think the team is strong. I think when we look at the options we’ve got, not only on the bench but some players who aren’t even getting stripped, it shows you we’re getting stronger.”
Earlier this week Leeds were linked again with Lafferty, the Norwich City striker who Evans attempted to sign on an emergency loan before Christmas and chased without success in the January transfer window. But the return of Chris Wood and good form of Micro Antenucci has seen their need for extra firepower diminish.
It looks as though Northern Ireland’s main striker could be going into the biggest tournament of his career without having started a game for over a year. While few would argue he has the quality needed to keep Norwich in the Premier League, you can’t help but feel sorry for someone who has fought so hard to make an impact under Alex Neil.